Vande Pol, Natalie
Department of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
3270 Molecular Plant Science Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
In 2014, Natalie Vandepol earned her BS in Biology from Stanford University after transferring from De Anza Community College. As an undergraduate student, Natalie was fortunate to conduct a summer research project with Dr. Sharon Long examining the requirement of different extracellular signalling factors for nodulation of Medicago plants by rhizobia bacteria. This brief exposure to laboratory research inspired Natalie to pursue graduate studies in microbial plant interactions. Natalie is now a 6th year PhD candidate in the Bonito lab researching plant growth promoting fungi in the Mortierellaceae. Her project is focused on resolving the phylogeny of the fungal lineage and characterizing the extent and genetic basis of Mortierella-plant interactions. She plans to graduate in 2020.
During her PhD training, Natalie discovered a passion for education, particularly lesson planning and active learning activities. Natalie is completing the Teaching Certification program, including a mentored teaching project with Dr Ashley Shade in the MMG 425 Microbial Ecology course that involved developing an active learning activity to teach and practice microbial biogeography. Upon graduation, Natalie will pursue a career in curriculum development and web-based educational resource design.
- Du ZY, Zienkiewicz K, Vande Pol N, Ostrom NE, Benning C, Bonito GM. 2019. Algal-fungal symbiosis leads to photosynthetic mycelium. eLife 2019;8:e47815
- Hejase HA, Vande Pol N, Bonito GM, Liu KJ. 2018. FastNet: Fast and Accurate Statistical Inference of Phylogenetic Networks Using Large-Scale Genomic Sequence Data. Blanchette M., Ouangraoua A. (eds) Comparative Genomics. RECOMB-CG 2018. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11183. Pp.242-259.
- Gdanetz K, Vande Pol N, Bonito G, Benucci GMN (2017). CONSTAX: a tool for improved taxonomic resolution of environmental fungal ITS sequences. BMC Bioinformatics, 18(1), 538
- Desirò A, Rimington W, Jacob A, Vande Pol N, Smith M, Trappe J, Bidartondo M, Bonito G. 2017. Multigene Phylogeny of Endogonales, an Early Diverging Lineage of Fungi Associated with Plants. IMA Fungus. 8 (2), 245-264.
- Hejase HA, Vande Pol N, Bonito GM, Edger PE, Liu KJ. (2017) Coal-Miner: A Statistical Method for GWA Studies of Quantitative Traits with Complex Evolutionary Origins. Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology,and Health Informatics
- Uehling J, Gryganskyi A, Hameed K, Tschaplinski T, Misztal P, Wu S, Desirò A, Vande Pol N, et al. (2017) Comparative genomics of Mortierella elongata and its bacterial endosymbiont Mycoavidus cysteinexigens. Environmental Microbiology.
Selected Oral Presentations (* presenting author, † invited speaker)
- *Vande Pol N. Differential Arabidopsis thaliana growth effects by Linnemannia elongata. MSU MMG Work in Progress Seminar & BMS 800 Seminar (September 2019)
- *Vande Pol N. Resolving the Mortierellaceae phylogeny: a discussion of Multi-Locus Sequence Typing (MLST) and phylogenomic approaches. MSU MMG Work in Progress Seminar & BEACON Seminar (March 2018)
- *Vande Pol N. Plant-fungal-bacterial interactions: Elucidating mechanisms of plant growth promotion by fungi in the Mortierellaceae. MSU MMG Work in Progress Seminar (April 2017)
- * †Vande Pol N, Stajich JE, O’Donnell K, Desiro A, Bonito G. Resolving the Mortierellaceae phylogeny through Multi-Locus Sequence Typing (MLST) and phylogenomics. GSA: Fungal Genetics (March 2017) Asilomar, California
- *Vande Pol N and Bonito G. Beyond rDNA: a multigene phylogenomic approach to resolution of the Mortierellaceae. Mycological Society of America (August 2016) Berkeley, California
- *Vande Pol N, O’Donnell K, Stajich J, and Bonito G. Elucidating the mechanisms of Mortierella-plant interactions: a multigene phylogenomic approach to resolution of the Mortierellaceae. Great Lakes - St. Lawrence Mycology Meeting (April 2016) Chaffrey’s Lock, Ontario, Canada
- Selected Poster Presentations (*presenting author)
- *VandePol N, Edger P, Bonito GM. Differential Arabidopsis thaliana growth effects by soil fungi in the Mortierellaceae. Mycological Society of America (August 2019) Minneapolis, Minnesota
- *Vande Pol N, Stajich JE, O’Donnell K, Desiro A, Bonito G. Resolving the Mortierellaceae phylogeny: A synthesis of Multi-Locus Sequence Typing (MLST) and phylogenomic approaches. International Mycological Congress (July 2018) San Juan, Puerto Rico
- *Vande Pol N, Stajich JE, O’Donnell K, Desiro A, Bonito G. Resolving the Mortierellaceae phylogeny through Multi-Locus Sequence Typing (MLST) and phylogenomics. Fungal Genetics (March 2017) Asilomar, California
- *Vande Pol N, Benning N, Poliner E, Desirò A, and Bonito G. Multi-locus sequence typing (MLST) and fatty acid profiles inform the Mortierellaceae phylogeny. Mycological Society of America (August 2015) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada