Department of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
3270 Molecular Plant Science Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
Reid Longley is a third year Microbiology and Molecular Genetics Ph.D student in the Bonito lab. As a member of the Bonito lab, Reid is interested in studying microbial (fungal and bacterial) communities associated with various host organisms. Reid’s primary thesis research concerns the microbial communities associated with soybeans grown at the KBS LTER site and how agricultural management alters the microbial communities. In addition to this primary research, Reid is interested microbial communities associated with Fijian coral and how these microbial communities may help protect the coral from bleaching. Additionally, he has performed research on the bacterial communities associated with Morel mushrooms in order to gain insight into how these communities may be associated with the development of fungal fruiting bodies. Before coming to Michigan State, Reid earned B.S. degrees in Exercise Physiology and Human Biology at the University of Montana. While there, he researched the development of heterocyst cells in thermophilic Cyanobacteria in Yellowstone National Park.
- Miller SR, Longley R, Hutchins PR, Bauersachs T. 2020. Cellular Innovation of the Cyanobacterial Heterocyst by the Adaptive Loss of Plasticity. Current Biology 30:1-7.
- Longley R*, Benucci GMN*, Mills G, Bonito G.2019. Fungal and bacterial community dynamics in substrates during the cultivation of morels (Morchella rufobrunnea) indoors. Fems Microbiology Letters 366:fnz215.
- Benucci GMN*, Longley R*, Zhang P, Zhao Q, Bonito G, Yu F. 2019. Microbial communities associated with the black morel Morchella sextelata cultivated in greenhouses. PeerJ 7:e7744.
- McCoy AG, Roth MG, Shay R, Noel ZA, Jayawardana MA, Longley RW, Bonito G, Chilvers MI. 2019. Identification of Fungal Communities Within the Tar Spot Complex of Corn in Michigan via Next-Generation Sequencing Phytobiomes J. 3:3, 235-243.
- Mycological Society of America Conference 2019 – Poster Presentation- Soybean Associated Fungal Communities Under Three Different Management Systems. Reid Longley, Martin Chilvers, Frances Trail, Gregory Bonito.
- Predicting and Controlling Microbiomes for Health, Industry, and the Environment 2019- Poster Presentation- Soybean Associated Root and Soil Fungal Communities Under Three Different Managements. Reid Longley, Martin Chilvers, Frances Trail, Gregory Bonito.
- International Mycological Congress 2018 - Analysis of coral-associated fungal and microbial communities in Fiji using high throughput amplicon sequencing. Reid Longley, Gian Maria Niccolo Benucci, Osama Alian, Xavier Pochon, Victor Bonito, Gregory Bonito