Department of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
6118 Biomedical Physical Sciences
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
John Lee is a sixth-year graduate student in Yann Dufour’s lab. His research interest is to understand the mechanism by which bacteria produce progeny with a wide range of behaviors or characteristics through a process called phenotypic diversity. His current work focuses on the role of the second messenger c-di-GMP in controlling phenotypic diversity in clonal populations of Vibrio cholerae. John received his B.S. and M.Sc. in Cellular and Molecular Biology (CMB) at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. During his master’s years, John was a part of the research team in Matt Chapman’s lab, studying the development of rugose (wrinkled) biofilm in uropathogenic E. coli (UPEC) and its role in conferring protection against the predaotry nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Outside the lab, John enjoys a hike along trails in local state parks.
- DePas WH, Hufnagel DA, Lee JS, Blanco LP, Bernstein HC, Fisher ST, James GA, Stewart PS, Chapman MR. (2013) Iron induces bimodal population development by Escherchia coli. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. Feb 12:110(7):2629-34.
- DePas WH, Syed AK, Sifuentes M, Lee JS, Warshaw D, Saggar V, Csankovszki G, Boles BR, Chapman MR. (2014) Biofilm formation protects Escherichia coli against killing by Caenorhabditis elegans and Myxococcus xanthus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. Nov 80(22):7079-87.
- MMPC Annual Meeting, 2016 - Poster Presentation - Quorum sensing-meidated regulation of phenotypic diversity in swimming behaviors of Vibrio cholerae
- BLAST XIV, 2017 - Poster Presentation - Phenotypic diversity of Vibrio cholerae
- ASM Michigan Branch Meeting: Nano-parts for micro-life, 2017 - Poster Presentation - Phenotypic diversity of Vibrio cholerae
- MMPC Annual Meeting, 2017 - Poster Presentation - Control of phenotypic switching by c-di-GMP in Vibrio cholerae
- Midwest Vibrio Summit, 2018 - Oral Presentation - Regulation of flagellar motility by c-di-GMP in Vibrio cholerae
- BEACON Congress, 2018 - Oral Presentation - Control of phenotypic switching in Vibrio cholerae
- ASBMB Symposium: Evolution and Core Processes in Gene Expression, 2019 - Poster Presentation - The role of cyclic-di-GMP in control of phenotypic switching in two pandemic strains of Vibrio cholerae
- MMPC Annual Meeting, 2019 - Poster Presentation - Control of phenotypic diversity by c-di-GMP in Vibrio cholerae