Below is important information for Microbiology and Molecular Genetics Graduate Students.
- Schedule your dissertation defense date by emailing the graduate office email@example.com early on in the semester to reserve the conference room and publicize your defense. All defenses are public and anyone is welcome to attend. You must be enrolled the semester you defend, no exceptions.
- As soon as you know when you are planning on defending Apply to Graduate. You do this through the Registrar's Office website.
- Send your Dissertation Title, your committee members names (listing who is the mentor, department rep) along with the defense date, time and location to the graduate office firstname.lastname@example.org so that it can be announced to the department.
- Fill out and return the CNS Placement Form to the Graduate Office email@example.com
- Review your GradPlan Progress and make sure you have taken all the classes you have said you would take. Everything should be filled out except for the dissertation defense date (the Graduate Secretary will input that) and your official title for your dissertation. You are not able to fill in the dissertation title until the defense date has been put in. This is the title that will appear on all records, so make sure it is correct and matches your dissertation!
- Once you defend and pass your defense, you need to submit your dissertation to the Graduate School. Look at the Instructions for Electronic Submission (pay close attention to #2) and also look at the deadlines for submission. Those dates are for final approval, if you submit your paper that day it will not be approved and you will not graduate that semester. You'll want to submit your paper at least 2 weeks prior to your given semester's deadline.
- Resolve any outstanding bills that might hold up your transcript or diploma.
- Commencement - this is not the same as graduating. For more information about commencement, go to https://commencement.msu.edu/. Note there is no summer commencement, students graduating in the summer usually walk in the previous spring.
Any questions about graduation or dissertation defenses can be directed to the graduate office firstname.lastname@example.org.